Working under the general direction of the Director of Wellness, and in
conjunction with the Physician(s), Nurse(s) and clinical staff of the
Wellness Centre, the Community Health Worker is responsible for providing
both clinical support, by means of both direct and indirect constituent care
to patients accessing medical and clinical services, as well as community
development and outreach through the design, delivery and communication of
health promotion, prevention and awareness activities within the Aboriginal
community. The Community Health Worker shall ensure that all activities are
undertaken in a manner that is consistent with, and complementary to, the
Vision Statement, the Principles and Values and the policies and procedures
of the Wellness Centre.
· Through the establishment and maintenance of linkages within the Aboriginal
community which are designed to identify existing and emerging healthcare
and lifestyle issues among constituents, develop and deliver information
programs and primary / secondary prevention strategies relative to health
education, promotion, prevention and awareness.
· Provide direct constituent service and support, through the effective
management of an assigned caseload utilizing the Medicine Wheel as a culture-
based tool, to ensure optimum access to, and maximum utilization of, the
services of the Wellness Centre, including traditional health resources as
well as other community agencies and supports.
· Through the use of MedEasy, or other medical software applications utilized by the Centre, schedule medical appointments, prepares patient files and
necessary documentation for staff involved in patient examination / treatment
/ prescription renewal, and contacts patients to confirm attendance at
• As a supplement and support to the primary care providers within the Clinic
environment, deliver direct constituent care involving basic patient
interaction and triage, specific incident and history documentation,
performing fundamental medical procedures such as taking blood pressure,
urinalysis, and capillary blood sampling.
• Maintain detailed case files and records of all communications, referrals,
transactions and interactions with constituents and associated support
services, in order to ensure effective case management.
• In conjunction with other staff members and Elders, assist in the design
and delivery of Sharing, Healing and Teaching Circles with particular
emphasis on healthcare and lifestyle.
• Establish and maintain an effective network with a wide variety of
agencies, programs and supports providing community and culturally based
health, wellness and lifestyle supports to members of the Aboriginal
community, for the purpose of promoting, providing and receiving constituent
• Participate in the delivery of external training sessions, workshops,
events and internal training and development initiatives relative to the
promotion of wellness and culture based health services and supports.
• Grade 12 graduation, possession of a G.E.D. diploma, possession of a
Medical Office Assistant, Healthcare Aide or Community Outreach Worker
certificate, or a combination of education and related experience deemed
equivalent by the Centre.
• Practical experience in the operation of a personal computer, including the
use of medical related software, word processing, and spreadsheet / data
base applications, as well as the operation of other general office
• Demonstrated experience working within a medical office / clinic
environment, with primary emphasis on effective direct patient interfacing
and accurate record keeping.
• Excellent communication skills including demonstrated ability to facilitate
presentations to groups and committees of various sizes.
• Possess a current Province of Manitoba Driver’s Licence and a suitable
vehicle for work-related transportation.
• Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently within a fast-
paced, high stress environment.
• Ability to communicate in an Aboriginal language(s) would be a definite
• Demonstrated capacity to function effectively in a working team environment.
• Other related duties that may be assigned.