Order Date: March 30th, 2012
Job Title: Assistant Building Superintendant
Application Deadline: 4 p.m., April 13th, 2012
Wage Type: Salary
Number of Positions: 1
Position Type: Full-Time, 40 hours /week
Under the direction of the Building Superintendant, the incumbent will assist in the overall management of operations and building security. Will supervise skilled and semi-skilled employees in maintenance tasks and janitorial/custodial duties. Will be able to perform complex maintenance tasks; building and equipment repairs; re-modelling, renovation, installation and similar projects as required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
· Makes periodic inspections of assigned facilities to determine condition;
· Diagnoses problems and initiates necessary action;
· Plans and schedules routine maintenance;
· Establishes work priorities; issues work orders;
· Prepares sketches, plans, and carries out re-modelling projects;
· Estimates materials and labour costs for re-modelling, alterations, and installation projects;
· Orders and issues tools, equipment, supplies, and supervises maintenance thereof;
· Maintains materials and equipment inventories;
· Performs complex repair and maintenance tasks;
· Supervises a staff of skilled and semi-skilled workers in such maintenance duties as painting, carpentry, masonry, cement work, and general upkeep involving structures, furnishings, equipment, floor coverings, acoustical ceiling, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, electrical, and related systems; trains, instructs, and assigns subordinates, and inspects completed work;
· Trains and evaluates staff; maintains time and cost records; schedules vacation, relief, and emergency coverage;
· Ensures that safety standards and regulations are observed;
· Schedules inspection and test of sprinkler system, emergency lights, fire alarm, fire extinguishers and elevators as required by Code for each location;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
· 3 years of journey-level experience in construction and/or maintenance work including one year of experience in a specialty building trade and as a lead worker;
· 5 years in a supervisory/managerial role or an equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities.
· 5th Class Power Engineering Certificate would be an asset.
· Working experience with Building Code requirements; safety standards and regulations.
· Knowledge and experience of - building maintenance and repair methods; materials, tools, and equipment; the operation and repair of building mechanical including electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, air make-up units, pneumatic controls, steam boiler and hot water heating; housekeeping and janitorial tasks and standards.
· Able to plan, schedule, train, and supervise the work of others;
· Perform complex repair and maintenance tasks;
· Understand and follow through under general directions, and/or on own initiative;
· Maintain records and prepare simple reports;
· Coordinate building and maintenance activities within the division and with other divisions and departments;
· Learn and apply principles and practices of supervision;
· Learn contract administration;
· Supervise 10 or less staff;
· 5th Class Power Engineering Certificate an asset.
· Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle;
· Intermediate Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications – (Work, Excel);
· Ability to prioritize workload in a fast paced environment;
· High degree of functional knowledge of displaying technical and mechanical aptitude;
· Disciplined critical thinker who makes fact based decisions;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to concisely break down and translate complex issues and instructions;
· Ability to manage time effectively given competing priorities;
· Strong ability to work with reports, documents, spread sheets, maintenance projects and job orders;
Referral Process: Please submit resume and cover letter by 4 p.m. April 13th, 2012.
Employment Equity is a factor in selecting qualified candidates, therefore, candidates are encouraged to indicate in their covering letter if they belong to any of the following groups: Women, Aboriginal Peoples (Status, Non-Status, Métis, or Inuit), Visible Minorities and/or Persons with a Disability. We thank all who apply, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.